Sunday, April 7, 2024

Words

After a stroll in the garden one fine evening
I lie in your lap under a moonlit sky 
I look at you and feel such a lightness of being
A sweet poem flows from the depths of my mind

Then I imagine a man thousands of years ago
Who after a day in the woods hunting big game
Would've expressed his joy at being back home
By grunting a few times to his voluptuous dame

Aren't we glad for beautiful words in our time
That draw out our sublime threads of thought
Into the loom of language with the warp of rhyme
And weave exquisite poems of silken cloth?

Would you have known the depth of my devotion
Had I grunted a bit instead of singing a poem?
Would my mind have birthed the finer emotions
Without the trellis of words to support them?

Then I find you looking at me with such tenderness
As you run your fingers through my hair in a caress
I see in your eyes that there is nothing else
You want more in this world than my happiness

I drown in your love, you haven't said a word yet
Let alone weave a baroque poem 
Oh, true feelings of the heart are perhaps felt
No matter how or whether you say them

No comments:

Post a Comment