Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Thoughts in a tea cup



(A poem inspired by the beautiful image above...)

The sun rises lazily over the eastern hills
A cool breeze wafts in ever so gently
Carrying with it the fresh scent of earth
And of fragrant spring flowers in bloom

We sit around a table outside our home
In the green valley between majestic hills
The wicker chairs are wet with the morning dew
Greetings are spoken, we pour out the tea
And caress the warm cups with our cold hands
Conversations flow, as we sip the brew, slowly...

I feel a sudden rush of warmth deep in my being
Is it from the ginger root steeped in the tea
Or from the sun that is now well over the hills?
Or from the love I am surrounded by this morning
From three generations of my family around the table?

Tomorrow, we will all be gone our separate ways
To chase our dreams, to fulfill our duties
But I wonder if someone can tell me this:
How much ginger in the brew, and how much sun
Would I need to feel this warmth again
When I sip tea all by myself, someplace far far away?

A lonely rooster cries a sad note from somewhere
And brings me back to the present moment
I hear the end of grandma's joke, and laugh along
I mustn't wander off in my thoughts, I tell myself
I must hold on to these precious moments now...

Every story being shared, every tease, every wink
The sound of laughter, of love, of the birds singing
The scents of the tea, of fresh earth, of flowers
The cool breeze on my face, the crisp chill in the air
The slanting rays of the sun, the dampness of the dew
The feeling of grandma's wrinkly hand over mine
The warm golden glow that washes over us all...

No comments:

Post a Comment