Wednesday, September 4, 2024

The child

Who do I see, my dear, by your side
A little boy, perhaps no older than five
For the light of the heavens he was born with
Has not yet faded from his innocent eyes

I draw him into a tender embrace
He fills my heart with his happy smile
I feel a love that brooks no limits
As the love of a mother for her child

He regales me with his funny tales
And frolics around in playful mirth
He floats to the sky in a bubble of joy
That no rule nor duty tethers to earth

He brings to me his little trophies
With a smug yet demure look in his eye
He shows me his scraped elbows and knees
From when he fell but was too proud to cry

After my balm of calm solace
He rests in my lap, cares left behind
As I watch him nap, I feel blessed to have
Earned the affection of a blameless mind

Soon, life beckons, and he scampers away
To hide in a crevice of your adult mind
I wonder when I will see him again
That golden little drop of sunshine

The (inner) child

No comments:

Post a Comment