Sunday, March 17, 2024

Passing by

We crossed each other on the street today
At first, I had my face turned the other way
But I knew it was you, I had no doubt
I could pick your perfume even in a crowd
I turned to see, you had almost passed me by
We only had time for a quick nod and smile
Your smile was cold like the rays of the moon
It wasn't the sunshine I was used to
Your face didn't glow like a lotus in bloom
It was closed up like a bud in the morning dew
Your eyes missed the spark that would light up my soul
Today they were just embers that had turned cold
Your nod felt like you had a cup on your head
Poison to the brim, that if spilt, would've left you dead
Was it the same cup, when you and I would embrace
That would overflow with joy and drench your face?
If your face and smile are not what they used to be
Perhaps the fault lies with my memory
I forget that you aren't just the love of my life
You walked the street today as someone else's wife

No comments:

Post a Comment