Wednesday, November 29, 2023

November rain

On a hot humid day filled with many an irritation
I walk to the window to calm the restless heart
Just then she arrives, the south-west wind
I notice her as she blows the curtains apart

She comes in a huff, fierce rage writ all over
What troubles she had in the distant seas, I do not know
Her tears are stuffed in the grey clouds she carries along
They well up in her eyes sometimes, but she is too proud to let them show

The birds and beasts scamper around and hide
As she lashes out bitterly at the windows and trees
Little children hold on to their mothers in fright,
For she howls in fury at everyone she sees

Then she runs into this mountain, standing tall and stoic
He is unfazed by her temper or her angry stare
"Tell me what troubles you, fair maiden", he calmly says
"I cannot let you pass until you've laid your heart bare"

She resists his overtures at first, for she has only ever seen
Her anger met with fear, hate, or at best, a frown
But not too long under his kind eyes, in his strong arms
She lets out a thunderous wail and completely breaks down

The tears that start to come out hesitatingly in a drizzle
Soon flow with gusto as pouring, drenching rain
The forgiving earth soaks it all in with grace
As she watches the wind finally let go of her pain

The sun comes out to bid farewell to the now gentle breeze
My mind as calm as the skies above, back into the house I walk
I know that my despair will soon disappear because
I am about to shed some tears on the shoulder of my rock

No comments:

Post a Comment